In today’s tough economic times, it can be tricky to obtain motor vehicle finance. We don’t have a reliable public transport system in SA, and so for many it’s essential to have a trustworthy vehicle to get you from point A to point B.
At Future Motor Lease we offer you options other than motor vehicle finance to help you drive the car of your dreams.
What is the difference between rent to buy versus car finance?
Rent to buy is one of a few financial options to consider when wanting to get a new or used motor vehicle. Rent to buy means that you sign a lease with a reputable motor leasing company which allows you to lease the car from them for a predetermined amount of time. At the end of the lease you can either return the car to them and lease another car, or you have the option to buy the car at the end of your lease.
When you finance a motor vehicle, it can be a lengthy and tedious process, including background credit checks and financial institution applications.
Points to consider before entering into a rent-to-buy agreement or finance application.
Each person has a unique situation that will affect their choice when purchasing a new or used motor vehicle. Let’s look at some pros and cons of a rent to buy lease agreement;
- No background credit check required
- No interest charges which means there is a huge tax benefit
- Monthly rentals include: comprehensive insurance, tracker, license discs and 24-hour roadside assistance
- Very flexible, with instant upgrade & downgrade options
- Rent to buy lease agreements must be read carefully, especially with regards to the termination of said lease agreement
- Costs of servicing and maintenance of the vehicle, are costs which you must pay for, over and above your monthly rental amounts unless you take out a maintenance plan
- May not be worth your while if there is a mileage limit. Some agreements are very strict about the amount of mileage you can drive, and there are very stringent penalties for going over the mileage restriction limit
When it comes to financing a new or used car, there are also positive and negative points to consider too;
- Monthly payments are slightly cheaper than monthly rentals
- You can use your vehicle for long trips as there are no mileage restrictions
- You can choose your own vehicle insurer
- Arduous administration process including background financial checks
- No easy exits from the finance agreement
- Costs of servicing and maintenance of the vehicle, are costs which you must pay for, over and above your monthly vehicle repayment amounts unless you take out a maintenance plan
Although both rent to buy and finance options each have their own pros and cons, it always boils down to personal choice. Just make sure to read the T & C’s of each financial agreement to see what best works for you.
For more information on renting or leasing the perfect car for your family, get hold of Future Motor Lease now on 011 026 0003.